Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

What we do

PALS is a free and confidential service for patients, their relatives, carers, and friends. We are committed to providing the best quality care in a friendly, pleasant and professional environment. Sometimes, however, things go wrong, and should that happen, PALS aim to help with any concerns you may have.

We are here 

  • To listen to your comments, compliments and suggestions about our services
  • Provide confidential advice and support to resolve problems as they arise
  • Liaise with staff, clinics, and wards on your behalf
  • Offer information on how to raise a complaint

Raising a concern will not affect the care or treatment that you, or the cared for person receives. Concerns, feedback, and compliments received are used to improve the hospital services we provide.

Who can use us?

PALS can be used by patients, relatives, carers and visitors. Patients can ask a friend or relative to speak on their behalf, but we must have permission of the patient before we can discuss any personal circumstances with anyone else.

How do we work?

If you are unhappy about something, it is best to talk to someone close to the problem first: the sister/matron on a ward, the department manager, or the doctor you are seeing. If you have tried this and you are still not happy, or you want to talk to someone who is not involved in your care, then you can contact PALS, we will try to help get things resolved for you.

We are not able to provide clinical advice. PALS aim to resolve your problem/issue within ten working days, but some things may take longer for us to deal with. We will keep you informed of the progress.

Contact us


Raise your query or concern via our online form


In person (Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm)

Queen’s Hospital
Main Atrium (opposite information desk)
Rom Valley Way

By telephone (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

King George Hospital: 0208 970 8234.
Queen's Hospital: 01708 435 454.

Alternatively, you can leave a message on our 24-hour helpline answerphone: 0800 389 8324.

If we can't resolve your concern

PALS will try to resolve your concerns without the need for you to make a formal complaint. If you remain unhappy after contacting PALS, you can make a formal complaint. Using PALS does not mean it excludes you from making a formal complaint if you remain unhappy or have further concerns.

Can AIRS help you?

If you are experiencing difficulties accessing your care or appointment, please contact our Access Issues Resolution Service (AIRS). AIRS is a free dedicated helpline for patients and GPs and investigates issues incluidng patients who have not received a follow-up appointment, cancelled outpatient appointments, operations or diagnostic tests and GPs who are waiting for diagnostic test results.

Was this page useful?

Was this page useful?