Where to get the right treatment

Our A&E Departments often get very busy and we ask that you only come to A&E if you need immediate care for something that is very serious or life-threatening. This helps us to focus on very sick patients who need it most.

There are other options available if your condition is not serious or life-threatening so you can be treated safely, comfortably and more quickly. You can also find out more on the NHS website.

We also have information that is just for children, such as managing some common illnesses and injuries and a useful first aid kit for home.

Caring for children in an emergency

Where to get urgent care poster

NHS 111

For urgent medical advice that is not life-threatening, visit NHS 111 online. If you can’t use the online service, call 111 for free.

Highly trained advisors are supported by healthcare professionals. They will assess your symptoms and direct you to the best place to get medical care. They can also book you an appointment at an urgent treatment centre, emergency dental service, or with a GP, and can book you an appointment at A&E if needed.

Ask your local pharmacist for advice

Pharmacists are highly trained medical professionals who can give you advice on illnesses such as colds and flu, diarrhoea, headaches, and rashes, including over the counter treatments.

Some pharmacists can prescribe a range of medications such as emergency contraception and emergency supplies of your regular prescription and some have rooms where you can talk in private.

You don’t need an appointment and they can also direct you elsewhere if you need to see someone else.

Speak to your doctor

You should contact your GP in the first place if you have a concern about your health.

You should also talk to your GP if you need your prescription reviewed or refilled. 

GP Out of Hours

GP appointments are available seven days a week on weekday evenings, weekends and bank holidays for residents of Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge. To book, call your GP, if they are closed, you can book by calling NHS 111.

Community urgent treatment centres

If you live in Barking and Dagenham or Havering, you can also get help with minor injuries and illnesses at our community urgent treatment centres at Barking Community Hospital and Harold Wood Polyclinic. These are open 8am-9pm, seven days a week. You can call NHS 111 to book an appointment or walk in and wait to be seen. You do not need to be registered with a GP.

Call 999

Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life could be at risk, for example, you think they are having a heart attack or stroke, or they have been badly injured in a car crash.

Was this page useful?

Was this page useful?