Important notice: changes to our sexual health service
Our Sexual Health services at Queen's Hospital, Loxford and Hainault clinics are closed. Services will be open at Outpatients East, Barking Community Hospital, Upney Lane IG11 9LX.
Please call 020 8924 6674 between 8am and 4pm to book an appointment, further information or advice.
Our sexual health services are by appointment only. You can attend without an appointment if you are under 18, require HIV PEPSE, emergency contraception, or have been sexually assaulted.
Sexual health services at Barking Community Hospital, Barking
This is our main hub for sexual health and contraceptive services. You can come for advice and support, free condoms and there's even a speciality clinic for people aged under 20.
Contraception is available for residents of Havering, Barking and Dagenham, Redbridge and any other London borough.
We also provide services if you are resident of a non London borough and have emergency contraception needs, or are under the age of 18 years, or have IUD/IUS fitted and are experiencing abdominal pain.
You can find us here
Sexual health services at Outpatients East
- Testing, examination and treatment for all sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Quick check service for patients who have no symptoms
- Sexual health information and advice
- One-to-one discussions on reducing your STI risk
- Free condoms and lubricant
- Advice on unplanned pregnancy
- Emergency contraception
- On-going care and support for people with HIV
- Hepatitis B vaccination (if you're at risk of contracting hepatitis B through sexual contact)
- Treatment following sexual exposure to HIV (PEPSE)
- Psychosexual counselling, for example for people with sexual dysfunction by appointment
- Fast-track service for people who have been sexually assaulted
- Speciality clinic for young people under 20 years of age
If you are a resident of Barking and Dagenham, Havering or Redbridge you can access on line sexual health services at www.bhrut-dl.shl.uk. This is suitable if you are over 18 and have no symptoms. Online kits are also available for some other London Boroughs, and you can visit this website to check if you are eligible.
You will not be seen at this clinic if you have symptoms – you will need to attend Barking Community Hospital.
We offer all methods of contraception, including:
- Emergency contraception
- Oral contraception
- Injectable contraception
- Implants, intra-uterine contraception (IUD and IUS) and diaphragms
- Contraceptive patch
- Male and female condoms
- As well as help and advice
For contraceptive procedures, such as IUDs or IUSs (intrauterine system or devices), or implants, you’ll need to make an appointment.
If you’re an existing patient and you require a repeat prescription for contraception you can use our walk-in service.
If we're not open
If we’re not open, and you cannot wait to be seen, you can
- check if any of our other clinics are open
- visit NHS Choices
- call NHS 111
- some pharmacy services also provide emergency contraception
- contact your GP
- in an emergency, go to the Emergency Department at Queen’s or King George hospitals.