We provide high quality treatment and care to young patients whilst supporting their loved ones. We provide a wide range of services and facilities for children and young people, as well as information and support for their parents. We work in close partnership with our colleagues in community paediatrics for a range of disorders and provide acute care to sick children through our emergency departments.
The services provided range from general/common problems in children to highly specialist services involving:
- diabetes and hormone related disorders
- blood disorders and cancers.
Children requiring admission are treated as inpatients in a children’s ward. There are several specialist and general clinics that are held in a purpose built Paediatric Outpatient department area. We have a large Special Care Baby unit as well as a Neonatal Intensive Care unit for sick and premature babies requiring specialist treatment.
As well as general paediatrics and neonatal services, treatments and services offered include:
- paediatric specialist clinics in:
- diabetes (including an insulin pump service)
- ear, nose and throat (ENT)
- haematology and oncology
- Hot Clinic (Rapid Access Clinic)
- infectious diseases
- neonatal and neuro-developmental nephrology
- respiratory (including cystic fibrosis)
- special immunisations
- Day care unit:
- planned day surgeries (general surgery, ENT, maxillo-facial, urology)
- haemato-oncology care (blood transfusions, chemotherapy, immunoglobulin therapy)
- MRI under sedation
- work-up for endocrine disorders (Glucose Tolerance Test, Adrenocorticotropic Hormone challenge etc.)
- work-up for Urinary Tract Infections and other investigations
- Dedicated play specialists
We offer a dedicated Paediatric Phlebotomy service (by appointment only) for children less than seven years of age and up to 18 years of age for children with special needs.
Appointments can be made by contacting 01708 435 289.
The following services are accessible within the community setting and are currently being provided by North East London Foundation Trust:
- eneuresis clinic
- community paediatric service (for autism, ADHD, developmental or speech and language delay)
- speech and language therapy
Paediatric Hot Clinic
Our hot clinic provides an opportunity for GPs to contact a Paediatric Consultant so they can discuss a referral, or seek advice about treatment options for sick children. It is a consultant delivered service aimed at providing an urgent senior paediatric opinion for children who are not ill enough to be referred to our emergency department but cannot wait for a routine out patients department consultation.
Key telephone numbers
A consultant paediatrician can be contacted on 01708 435 000 ext 6134 for clinical queries only, Monday to Friday between 9am to 5pm.
Please note that all Hot Clinic administration queries (such as to check if a referral has been received) need to be made to 01708 435 000 ext 2675/2578.
Please discuss all referrals with the paediatric consultant (ext 6134 as above) who is available on the Hot Line Monday-Friday between 9am to 5pm to ensure the referral is appropriate for the Hot Clinic.
Referrals will not be accepted until discussed with the consultant and the name of the accepting consultant is included on the referral form. The referral must contain all patient identification details, including the parent’s contact numbers and the accepting consultant’s name. We will be unable to process any referrals without this information.