Domestic abuse is categorised by any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. This can encompass but is not limited to the following types of abuse:
The Government website has information on what signs to look for if you believe that you or someone else could be a victim of domestic abuse and how to support someone if they’re being abused.
If you feel at risk of domestic violence or abuse
There is lots of support available to you, including the Police, online support, helplines and refuges. The Government has put these resources into one place.
- Call 999 if you or someone else in in immediate danger. If you don't speak or answer questions, press 55 when prompted and your call will be transferred to the police. Pressing 55 only works on mobiles and doesn't allow the police to track your location.
- Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247 (available in many different languages) or via their contact form: https://www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/Contact-us
- Barking and Dagenham Domestic and Sexual Violence Service on 0330 456 0174; Redbridge Reach Out on 0800 1456 410; Havering Women’s Aid on 01708 728759.
- Ask for ANI in your local pharmacy – this stands for Action Needed Immediately (ANI). A member of staff will know you are requesting help for domestic violence and will discreetly assist you.
Supporting someone else who may at risk of domestic violence or abuse
- Guidance for supporting an adult who may be a victim of Domestic Abuse: https://www.ourwatch.org.uk/crime-prevention/crime-prevention-toolkits/domestic-abuse/how-help
- Guidance for supporting a child who may be a victim of abuse: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/reporting-abuse/coronavirus-abuse-neglect-vulnerable-children/.
- Jo Kavanagh, our Trust’s Safeguarding Advisor for Harmful Practices, and our Safeguarding team can be reached on ext 5719, between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.